Accommodation in Vannes, Lorient and Pontivy

Finding accommodation in Lorient, Pontivy or Vannes

Bear in mind that Vannes is more expensive than Lorient and Pontivy is cheaper altogether. During summer rental rooms or apartments are at a premium because of festivals and tourism activities.

Indicative prices (2020)

  • Furnished room (with bed, desk, cupboard -10 to 15 m2: Appx 250 to 290 €/mth
  • Studio (1 room appt with integrated kitchenette and bathroom/toilet): Appx 280 to 300€/mth 
  • F1 or T1(Main room, separate kitchen and bathroom): Appx 300€/mth 
  • F2 or T2: sitting room and separate bedroom and bathroom Approximately 400 to 500 euros a month

Advice prior to renting

Think about what you need in terms of

  • Type of accommodation (room or studio)
  • Geographical distance
  • Proximity to public transport
  • Financial means
  • Length of stay
  • Whether you want to share or not

University Residence / student accommodation

Securing a university residential room can be difficult as they are reserved to students benefiting from a French government scholarship. You can nevertheless apply with the Regional Centre for Student Social Services - in French Centre Regional des Oeuvres Universitaires (CROUS). This a free service.

CROUS de Rennes: 
choose either Lorient or Vannes
The CROUS also manages private sector accommodation offers via  and this service is also free.

Social housing: Young workers’ hostels; Espacil see addresses below

Private sector accommodation

Price vary depending on the suburb, size, number of rooms and amenities. In France, owners decide on rental prices. You must also consider the fact that owners are entitled to request 2 months bond. You may also be asked to provide a guarantor that is the name of a person who can act as a financial guarantor for you. Your guarantor must reside regularly in Europe.


If you do not have a guarantor check out this website: 
As a European exchange student, you just need to provide proof of identity (i.e. valid passport or ID card). If you are a non-European student you just need a valid visa and long-term residence permit.

Sharing a flat

Sharing a flat (Colocation or Coloc in French) is a common and great way to share costs and make friends.
NB: Do make sure you are on the rental agreement (Bail in French) to be able to ask for financial assistance (see next paragraph).
You can register your interest and check flats available at the following websites. 

Financial Assistance

International students benefit from the same financial assistance as French students. To benefit from this help, you must have a rental contract in your name and not have any children. Non-EU students also need a valid visa VLS-TS or residence permit.

Once you have a rental contract in your name you have three months to apply online for financial assistance via the following website: 
This financial assistance is called Aide Personnalisée au Logement (APL) and concerns certain residential flats managed by CROUS or the HLM social flat services. Other assistance called Allocation de Logement Social (ALS) is also available under certain conditions. This assistance cannot be accumulated, it is either one or the other.

The amount of help is based on the rent and on student resources. It is not automatically granted but on a case by case basis.


To apply for financial you must :

  1. Already have your accommodation and be able to provide your rental contract with the rent level and exact address
  2. Be registered with the French Social Security System
  3. Have a French bank account where this help will be transferred each month
  4. If you are sharing a flat your name must be on the rental agreement (or bail in French)- Couples only apply once



Many students opt for temporary accommodation in the first few weeks to have time to find an appropriate accommodation solution.


Example of temporary accommodation options:

  • In Lorient: Youth Hostel - Auberge de jeunesse, UBS International Office can, on your behalf, book lodgings
  • In Vannes: ASSOCIATION MONTCALM, you will have to contact the association directly


Real Estate Companies or companies with rental databases

Real estate companies will charge you fees up to a month or two of monthly rent if they search for you but they are the ones dealing with the owners.

Be Careful! Companies with rental databases charge you for access to their listings but they do not help you in your search. This initially may seem attractive, but in reality, they offer few choices compare to what they charge.

Cheap furniture

As a student you can always find cheap furniture online on sites such as:



Useful addresses 



Young Workers’ Hostel - Foyer des Jeunes travailleurs


83, rue Amiral Courbet, 56100 LORIENT

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 21 16 73 

Youth Hostel - Auberge de jeunesse

41, Rue Victor Schoelcher, 56100 LORIENT

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 37 11 65

Cost per night: 22 € (breakfast included) + membership

Open all year / check-in from 9 am to 12 pm and from 5 :30 to 10 pm 




5, Place Jules Ferry, 56100 LORIENT

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 21 06 36

Prices: Starting from 42 € /night


25, avenue du Général de Gaulle, 56100 LORIENT

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 21 08 62 


1, rue de Robelin, 56100 LORIENT

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 37 11 65 


11 rue Waldeck Rousseau, 56100 LORIENT

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 21 23 16 



Youth Hostel - Auberge de jeunesse

Tel: +33 (0)



2 rue Jean Jaurès, 56300 PONTIVY
Tel: +33 (0)

Quai du Couvent, 56300 PONTIVY
Tel: +33 (0)


Foyers / Associations


14 avenue Victor Hugo, 56000 VANNES

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 54 33 13

fjtmene @ 


La maison du diocèse

55 rue du Monseigneur Tréhiou, 56000 VANNES

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 68 15 68

Accueil @  




88 avenue de Verdun, 56000 VANNES
Tel: +33 (0)2 97 47 27 74


10, place Théodore Décker, 56000 VANNES
Tel: +33 (0)2 97 47 29 60
fjt.mme.mole @ 




ZAC du Chapeau Rouge, 56000 VANNES

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 48 42 66 

38 rue Aristide Briand, 56000 VANNES
Tel: +33 (0)2 97 47 15 85



If you ever have a problem with your accommodation you can contact ADIL (Association Départementale pour l’Information sur le Logement)

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 21 74 64 


ADIL can help you with 

  • Conflicts between owners and tenants

  • Rights and obligations of both parties

  • Establishing the price of various costs and repairs

  • Access to sets of keys

  • Entry and exit inspections

  • Insurances, etc.


ADIL Offices 


26 Rue de Clisson, 56328 LORIENT

Tel: +33 (0)8 10 25 56 10

Open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9 am to 5 pm




70 rue de Sainte Anne, 56318 VANNES Cedex

Tel: +33 (0)8 10 25 56 10

Open Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm  


6 rue Roger Cotte, 56303 PONTIVY

Tel: +33 (0)8 10 25 56 10

Open Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm 

Your Obligations as a Tenant 

What you must do

  • Pay the rent

  • Repair anything you have broken

  • Use the premises responsibly and peacefully

  • Pay for tenant insurance

  • Maintain the premises in good state 


What you cannot do 

  • You cannot transform the flat without the owner’s approval

  • You cannot oppose to renovations the owner wishes to undertake

  • You cannot transfer your tenant agreement or sub-let without the owner’s approval in writing

Insuring your Accommodation: In French Assurance multi-risques 

Owners will request a multi-risk house insurance policy. This is compulsory no matter your accommodation. It is a legal protection of the premises and for yourself as it includes civil liability insurance. Student insurance societies, banks and insurance companies have varying prices (between 40 € to 100€ a year) for varying levels of policy covers (fires, theft, water damage, damages to adjacent buildings, civil liability) so do compare their offers carefully! 

House Tax:  In French Taxe d’habitation

This tax concerns lodgings occupied as of January 1st and is due for the whole year. It is a tax imposed by the local shire council, department and region for operational aspects of the to fund activities such as rubbish removal, roads, cleaning of the streets, security, street lighting etc. The amount varies depends of the type and size of the accommodation and the occupant’s status. It does not concern residential rooms in university residences, private rooms in private houses without a separate entry.

Useful terms

  • APL: Aide Personnalisée au Logement  

  • ALS:  Allocation de Logement Social 

  • ADIL: Association Départementale pour l’Information sur le Logement

  • BAIL: Tenancy or rental agreement

  • CC:  Charges Comprises means utilities (such as electricity & water) included

  • CAF: Caisse d’Allocations Familiales - The French Family Benefits Agency

  • COLOCATION / COLOC: Sharing a flat with others 

  • CROUS: Centre Régional des Œuvres Universitaires - Regional Student Services Centre

  • RIB: Relevé d’identité Bancaire – Bank and Branch Account Details 



If you ever have a problem with your accommodation you can contact ADIL (Association Départementale pour l’Information sur le Logement)

Tel: +33 (0)2 97 21 74 64


ADIL can help you with

- Conflicts between owners and tenants,

- Rights and obligations of both parties,

- Establishing the price of various costs and repairs,

- Access to sets of keys,

- Entry and exit inspections,

- Insurances, etc.



ADIL Offices:



26 Rue de Clisson, 56328 LORIENT

Tel: +33 (0)

Open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9 am to 5 pm




70 rue de Sainte Anne, 56318 VANNES Cedex

Tel: +33 (0)

Open Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm




6 rue Roger Cotte, 56303 PONTIVY

Tel: +33 (0)

Open Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm